Healing, Relief and Summer Ahead ☀️

Some updates on Rocco πŸ’™


He’s doing fabulous and healing very well! I was a little concerned for a while because he seemed to be having a reaction to the sutures. His incision looked very red and irritated, but Dr. Bauer reassured me that this is common after a skin flap procedure. As blood flow changes and healing progresses, redness is expected.


Once Dr. Raj removed his stitches two weeks after surgery, the irritation around the incision started to calm down. The area where the top scalp incision met the neck incision had us a little worried because it was open and weepy. After the stitches came out, it scabbed over and definitely didn’t look pretty, but it has steadily improved.


We have been very diligent with his incision care. Mike has become quite the barber, carefully trimming the hair around the incision with incredible precision. Keeping his hair short helps prevent hair from getting into the incision and lowers the risk of infection.





Each evening, I apply EMLA (numbing cream) about 30 minutes before bath time. This helps soften the scabs and makes cleaning more comfortable for Rocco. During bath time, I gently clean the incisions with baby shampoo and either gauze or my fingertips, carefully removing any crusting. Afterward, I pat the area dry and leave it alone. More recently, I started applying a small amount of hydrocortisone a couple of times a day because the itching has started—a good sign that healing is happening! Nurse Susan recommended doing this for the next 5–7 days, and things are looking so much better.


Rocco is also back at ELC! It has been a tough adjustment since he has been home with me almost continuously since March. He cries when I leave him, which is hard on this mama’s heart, but by the time I get home, I’m seeing pictures on the app of him smiling and happily playing.



I have felt such a sense of relief these past few days as I watch his incision continue to heal. I’m so excited to enjoy the summer months without the stress of expanders. It feels like I can finally breathe a little easier.


The plan is to have expanders placed again in September. We don’t have an exact surgery date yet, but once we do, we’ll begin planning our next trip to Chicago.


And one more thing—we have more Rare Rocco shirts available! If you’d like to purchase one, please reach out. Shirts are $25, and payment can be made by cash, Venmo, or Zelle. If you’re not local, I’m happy to ship one for an additional $5.


Thank you all for your continued prayers, encouragement, and support. We are so grateful for the village that surrounds our sweet boy. ❤️

Love, Jenny



Comments

Popular Posts